Dazzle Camouflage: Spectacular Theatrical Strategies for Resistance and Resilience offers two profiles of contemporary theater artists, Jenny Romaine and The Eggplant Faerie Players, generating analysis about their shared transformative theatrical strategies. Using oral history, archival research, and experiences working with these artists, the author tells their stories and identifies the roles of Dazzle Camouflage, Re-Mixing History, and Rehearsing Resistance in their work. Both profiles are interwoven with progressive Jewish and Queer culture and politics.
Publication: April 2016
- Spectacular Vernacular: An Interview with Ezra Berkley Nepon on New Yiddish Theater, Queer Performance Arts, and “Dazzle Camouflage”
Interview with Anna Elena Torres on In Geveb: A Journal of Yiddish Studies. (2016)
- “We Have a Past and a Future”
Interview with Theodore Kerr in Arts Everywhere. (2016)
- Essay “Let’s get this femme on the record” included in Glitter & Grit: Queer Performance from the Heels on Wheels Femme Galaxy. (2015) ed. Damien Luxe, Heather María Ács & Sabina Ibarrola. This book is winner of the 2015 Lambda Literary Award for LGBT Anthology!
- Essay “Zamlers, Tricksters, and Queers: Re-Mixing Histories in Yiddishland and Faerieland” is included in the new anthology Transformative Language Arts in Action. (2014)
BOOK LAUNCH EVENTS:
- Philadelphia — May 25 @ William Way LGBT Center
- Liberty, TN — June 11
- Brooklyn, NY — July 3
- NYC –November 5th Book Celebration following Great Small Works’ “Muntergang and other Cheerful Downfalls!” at LaMama ETC